10.05.2009

How was the first week of Bruin's life?


I don't plan on doing this weekly, but I thought it a good idea to just put down to paper (or blog) what our first week of having a baby was like, and how our lives have changed. In a nutshell, things haven't really changed all that much. We're still going out to dinner and movies, we're in bed at about 9 - and we get up at roughly 7am or so. It's hard to believe so many people with their warnings of "Get your sleep now". Seamless transition...

Yeah - not so much.

First of all - it's great. It's awesome to know that God blessed us with this great child. I mean, how cool is it that we have this little person to raise and teach the ways of the world? It's a little overwhelming to remember that we have to do our best not to break him. Physically, or psychologically. :) For the first week - mission accomplished, I think.

We were in the hospital from Monday 9/28 (Bruin's birthday) - Thursday 10/1. By the time Thursday rolled around, we were definitely ready to go home. The hospital sent us home with a meal for the night and we were on our way.

Overall, it hasn't been too tumultuous. Of course there is the lack of sleep. Andrea and I are averaging about 4 hours a night - sometimes a little more than that. At this stage, Bruin does a lot of sleeping. He wakes up when he's hungry and eats - then once he's eaten he goes back to sleep. Sounds kind of like me as a teenager. :) I'm a little bummed that there isn't a lot of "play with daddy and mommy" time. But I'm sure that's coming. He hasn't been particularly fussy or anything - except when he's hungry of course.

We continue to get lots of support from friends and family and neighbors too. Not that the neighbors don't fit into the "friend" category, I just felt that they deserved an honorable mention. :)

Payton is adjusting really well. While we were at the hospital our good friend, Greg Rood, stayed the nights at our house. He was here from Monday - Wendnesday night. We didn't want to send Payton somewhere while we were at the hospital. We both wanted him to be affected as little as possible with the new baby coming. There were a couple of days that I brought one of Bruin's outfits home and a hat for Payton to smell and stuff. Hopefully, this prepared him a little more for Bruin's arrival. Since we've been home, Payton is a little bit curious but not a whole lot. He has smelled Bruin a couple of times (he hasn't licked him yet) :) Otherwise, it's been pretty uneventful in that regard.

Around the house, I tend to like everything in its place. Clutter is one of my #1 enemies. I am very A.R. about that. Probably even OCD. I have been able to let that go just a bit. I still don't like clutter and things everywhere, but I do understand that some things are just better left out in the open as they are much easier to reach and use. The house is still in good shape and things aren't all over the place (because that would make me a little crazy).

So for the first week - things have definitely changed in our lives, and definitely for the better. It's cool to think that this chapter of our lives is just beginning. Who knows what week 2 will bring.

No comments: