7.17.2009

Our poor poor Payton!



So our little pup Payton had some pretty extensive work done at the vet today. I took him into the vet about a month ago and they recommended that we do a pretty serious dental cleaning. His mouth was pretty bad and they said they would likely have to pull 2 or 3 teeth. He also had two fatty masses on himself. One was on his rear right leg, the other was in the middle of his chest.

I took him back in this morning and dropped the little guy off. Knowing that he was going to have a bad day, we gave him some really good "wet" dog food last night instead if the same old "Dry" stuff. If he only knew what was in store for him.

I dropped him off at about 8am this morning. At about 9:30am, I had a message from the vet that his mouth had gotten much worse in the last month and she would have to do "multiple" extractions. I figured, okay, at least he'll have a healthy mouth again. Truthfully, his breath had gotten horrid in the last few weeks.

Well, at about 11am I get a call from the vet. She lets me know that Payton is fine and he is in recovery. She then goes on to let me know that he had to have multiple extractions. I figured, that stinks but now he's better.

I then ask the question, "So how many is multiple?"

The vet then thinks a moment and starts counting more to herself than to me..."12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18..." I'm thinking to myself. "Whaaaaa?!" She ends up saying that he had 29, that's right, 29! One more time - - - 29 teeth were pulled!!!

On top of that - he had the two masses removed. So this evening he is a hurtin' unit and he seems to be just miserable. Poor little thing.

3 comments:

Abby said...

Does he have any teeth left? That is terrible! Poor guy. How will he eat?

Unknown said...

ooh my goodness! poor baby! Does he even have any teeth left?!? That little wet food "treat" last night might be the first of many a wet meals! Hope he recovers quickly...

Ben said...

I guess the average Mini-Schnauzer has 42 teeth. So that would leave him with 13 left. He is actually doing really well today. It is wet food for quite awhile though.